Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm a Little Teapot

In my prayer time yesterday, this just came to me. I googled it to see if anybody else had written about it, and couldn't find anything on it...so here it is, original (as far as I know).

What's the best thing to do when you're angry? Some people take a time out, and put on a pot of tea. Do you remember that old kid's song, "I'm a Little Teapot?"
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.
Here is my handle, here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout,
"Tip me over and pour me out!"
It's a simple song, but embedded within its words are a hidden message (I'm serious) for dealing with anger.
I'm a little teapot, short and stout.Fist, Don't take yourself too seriously. Be able to see yourself in a silly image.
Second, realize your potential for boiling over.


Here is my handle, here is my spout.
There are two different ways that I can choose to deal with anger. Either I can get a handle on it, or I can spout off. It's up to me which I will choose.

When I get all steamed up, hear me shout
This, of course, is referring to the teapot's whistle. When you get steaming mad, do you whine? Do you shout? Do you cry? According to the song, the teapot shouts something that's pretty useful for people who have a tendency to get overly angry:

"Tip me over and pour me out!"
What is being poured out? Me. Myself. My ego. That's what's being poured out of the teapot. When I make tea, I often forget the pot and let it boil over, spilling out of the top and making a mess. But here, the teapot realizes that it will not boil over if "Me" is poured out. If I pour my ego out before God, then there's no more Me left to get angry.

In John 3, John the Baptist's followers tempted him to be angry and jealous, because Jesus was gaining more followers than John was. But instead of being angry, John said, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

"More of you, and less of me, Lord!" This must be my prayer whenever I'm tempted to boil with anger. "Tip me over and pour Me out!"

So, the next time you get angry at someone, just think this little song to yourself. You'll probably start to chuckle when you think of yourself as a little teapot, short and stout. Your mood will change--I guarantee it. Or better yet, just stop the argument you're in, look the person in the eye, put one hand on your hip and the other hand in the air, and sing the little song. I wonder how they'd respond to your little teapot?


1 comment:

Paul Bryant-Smith said...

Another guerilla video post on my brother's blog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10P_PC_Vjnc