Sunday, March 10, 2019

Communion Crosses Borders

Today, during Communion (Lord's Supper, Eucharist), the pastor made the point that when we take the body and the blood of Christ, we are connecting not only to God, but to all the saints.  In churches around the world, one of the things that unifies believers is this regular observance of Communion.  Throughout church history, Christians have shared this simple meal of bread and wine (or grape juice) as a sacrament or ordinance.  No wonder that since I moved 3,000 miles away from home, Communion has been a powerful moment for me. 

I've felt God's power dramatically for the past three months, worshiping and sharing the Lord's Supper at a church in Canada.  I've been brought to tears, remembering the church of my childhood.  I've felt nostalgic for the churches I've served as pastor.  But at the same time, those simple taste memories have brought a sense of community and family here in this new place.  I've heard God's gentle whisper, even across the border, saying, "These are my people."  

What's true for me is true for you as well.  If you're a Christian, then when you share Eucharist, you are not just observing a sacrament with your local congregation.  You're connecting with all believers in every nation.  You're touching all Jesus' followers of all time.  For the past two thousand years, this tradition and act of mystical union have been passed down to us.  So when you take the bread and wine, I hope it's more than a powerful taste memory for you (as it is for me).  I hope it's a connection with something greater, and with Someone greater.  Who knows--maybe the next time I take the bread and cup, I'll be sharing it with you, even from miles away.

No comments: