Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Partnering in Prayer - A Lenten Devotion - Day 7 - Friends with God

Day 7 – Tuesday
Friends with God
I love my friends. God has put some wonderful friends in my life, whom I love dearly. But, no offense to them, I wouldn’t want to live with them. And I don’t necessarily want to see them every day. I remember some mission trips that I’ve been on, with people who are very dear to my heart. But after living together in cramped quarters for a week, you start to get on each other’s nerves. I love my brother. He is closer than a friend. We grew up together, and still share much in common. But there are differences, and when we go on vacation together, we find that at some point in the week we need to take a break from each other. He begins to wear on me after a while, and I’m sure I aggravate him.
-->Benjamin Franklin said that house guests, like fish, stink after three days. But “there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).”
This morning in my prayer time, my scriptural meditation was on Psalm 25:14, which says, “The friendship of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and He makes known to them His covenant.” I don’t think I can begin to describe how awesome that is! It’s hard to even fathom, that God can call me His friend. What a radical concept, to have the Creator of the universe as my dear friend. And I never get tired of Him. And for some reason, He never grows weary of me.

And he walks with me, and he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known.

Because Abraham believed God, James 2:23 calls him a “friend of God.” In John 15:13-15, Jesus says, “Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”

I began to notice a pattern in these scriptures:
  • Psalm 25:14 – Fear of God (because our secret hearts are revealed to him) results in friendship with God, and God revealing Himself to us.
  • James 2:23 – Believing God results in friendship with God, and a credit of righteousness.
  • John 15:13-15 – Obeying God results in friendship with God, and God revealing Himself to us.
From the moment we were created, we were God’s people, His children. But it’s not until we respond to Him in fear, faith, and obedience that He calls us His friends. When we enter that level of relationship where God can call us friends, and He is our very best friend, then He reveals Himself to us. When you enter into prayer today, remember who God is—He’s your best friend of all. And more surprising than that—he calls you His friend as well!

What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!

No comments: