The following is not mine, but I share it with you in the hopes that some of these questions may provoke both thought and prayer, regarding your own spiritual life. This may originally be found at
In Rebuilding Your Broken World, Gordon MacDonald suggests twenty-six questions to help
develop accountability and invite feedback. If we desire to grow, we should submit our
selves to a spiritual mentor and answer these questions honestly.
1. How is your relationship with God right now?
2. What have you read in the Bible in the past week?
3. What has God said to you in this reading?
4. Where do you find yourself resisting Him these days?
5. What specific things are you praying for in regard to yourself?
7. What are the specific tasks facing you right now that you consider incomplete?
8. What habits intimidate you?
9. What have you read in the secular press this week?
10. What general reading are you doing?
11. What have you done to play?
12. How are you doing with your spouse? Kids?
13. If I were to ask your spouse about your state of mind, state of spirit, state of
energy level, what would the response be?
14. Are you sensing spiritual attacks from the enemy right now?
15. If Satan were to try to invalidate you as a person or as a servant of the Lord, how
might he do it?
16. What is the state of your sexual perspective? Tempted? Dealing with fantasies?
17. Where are you financially right now? (things under control? under anxiety? in great
18. Are there any unresolved conflicts in your circle of relationships right now?
19. When was the last time you spent time with a good friend of your own gender?
20. What kind of time have you spent with anyone who is a non-Christian this month?
21. What challenges do you think you're going to face in the coming week? Month?
22. What would you say are your fears at this present time?
23. Are you sleeping well?
24. What three things are you most thankful for?
25. Do you like yourself at this point in your pilgrimage?
26. What are your greatest confusions about your relationship with God?
Paul Borthwick, Leading the Way,
Navpress, 1989, pp. 171-172.