Friday, January 3, 2014

Jesus Wins!

Today is the last day in our final week, reading the Bible through together in a year.  I hope that it's been as rewarding for you as it has been for me.  I hope you'll continue following my blog, now that our year is done.  I'll be posting on this blog less frequently, as I've decided to use some of my blogging time to work on spiritual development, and on a book that I'm writing.  You can expect a post on this blog at least once a week, though--so keep checking back.  Also, take a peek at my other blog (which just might get more attention this year).  The Logos Prayer is a blog about Christian prayer and spirituality, how to have quiet time with Jesus, and how to pray the Word of God.  I hope you'll enjoy it and share it with others.  I pray God's blessings for you in 2014!

Our scriptures today are:  Job 40-42; Revelation 22; Psalm 150.  

My New Testament professor in college said that he wrote his doctoral dissertation on the book of Revelation.  After pouring himself into the project, wrestling with all the symbolism, and agonizing on all the theories of eschatology, he came to a conclusion that could be summed up in two words:  JESUS WINS!

As we come to the end of the book of Revelation, and the end of the Bible itself, we're fully aware that so many interpretations exist that it can be staggering.  Rather than argue over words and theories, wouldn't it be great if all Christians united over those two words?  JESUS WINS!

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.  And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new (Revelation 21.1-5a ESV).” 

Jesus adds a blessing to those who keep the truths of His book, and a warning for those who refuse His truth or try to change it.  I pray that as you conclude your through-the-Bible-in-a-year study, you'll remain faithful to the Word of the One who Wins!  I Pray that Jesus' words, "I am making all things new" will apply to your spirit.

This New Year, I went with my church's youth group to Winterfest--an awesome celebration of Jesus at Liberty University.  For two days we ice skated, went skiing, played volleyball, listened to bands like Tenth Avenue North and Skillet, and heard great preaching that was geared toward young people.  Two of our youth made first-time decisions for Jesus that weekend--praise the Lord!  Then, when I got back from that trip, I received a call that someone in our church family wanted to meet with me.  Sitting down with him, he told me, "I want to be saved!"  (How often do you get handed that on a silver platter?)  I had the privilege of leading him to Jesus that night!  What a great way to start off a new year--with three new members of the family of Christ.

JESUS WINS!  And He keeps on winning.  Souls are saved, lives are changed, hearts are made new.  I pray that your heart will likewise be made new today.  Happy New Year, and God bless you!

“And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book (Revelation 21.7 ESV).”
The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price (21.17 ESV).
 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen (21.20-21 ESV).




No comments: