Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Fix Your Thoughts

Today in a case managers' meeting, we took turns standing up and sharing uplifting stories about people we had gotten housed, or positive things about our coworkers.  Each of these things was represented by a house sticker or a "thumbs-up."  These are just a few of the reminders that good things are happening around here.  I was especially blessed because one of those thumbs you're looking at represented the inspirational quote board that I keep at my desk, and change daily.  It made me smile to know that something I've been doing has made a difference for others.  


This got me thinking about all the times that I'm having a hard day, finding it difficult to find something positive.  Inevitably, God puts someone in my path who says something encouraging.  Or maybe there's a sunrise that I find uplifting, or a scripture I read in my quiet time that inspires me.  I'll be it's the same for you.  Even on the worst days, there's something to lift you up.  It's a matter of choosing where your focus is going to be.  Are you going to choose the things that bring you down, or choose the things that make you rise above the circumstance?  The apostle Paul writes in Philippians 4:8 (NLT)

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.


In this translation, Paul says, "Fix your thoughts."  This probably means "keep your thoughts," but I'd suggest that if your thoughts are broken, fix them.  The truth is, life doesn't bring us down.  We bring ourselves down when we decide to focus on our troubles rather than focusing on positive things.  Keep your mind on things that build you up, and build others up.  And maybe, while you're at it, share those good things with others to brighten their day.

No comments: