Saturday, March 16, 2019

Abandoned Camps

A couple of days ago, while riding with the Homeless Outreach Team, we came across a couple of abandoned camps.  There are several reasons why a person might abandon their camp.  They might have been arrested.  They could have teamed up with someone who has better equipment, and abandoned their old tent.  Unfortunately, they could have died or disappeared altogether.  Or, they could have gotten housing, and left behind the gear that they no longer needed. In this last case, an abandoned camp could be a reason to celebrate, rather than a cause for fear, alarm, or sadness.

Not to be morbid, but this makes me think of my own death.  There will come a time when I will give up this tent I'm living in, because there's a better house waiting for me.  When I'm ready to occupy that mansion, I'll have no reason to stay behind, or even hang onto this used up frame.  So I'll kiss it goodbye and fly to my new home.


In 2 Peter 1:13-14 (NIV), the apostle Paul writes:


 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,  because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 

He also says in 2 Corinthians 5:1 (NIV):


For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands.

When it comes to those I love who have passed from this life to the next, I have a choice.  I can look at their earthly tents and grieve that they aren't here anymore.  Or I can thank God that they've found a new home that is far better than the encampment they left behind.  Instead of sorrow, I choose joy.  And I hope it's not too morbid for you to think about the day when your tent wears out.  One of these days, we'll all abandon camp.  I hope that when you do, it's because you've gone to a better home.  

No comments: