Monday, January 7, 2013

In the Beginning

In the beginning, God created.  On Day One, God did something new.

On this first day of my "Read the Bible Through in a Year" adventure, I begin with Genesis 1-2; Mark 1; Psalm 19.  I'm using the plan from Bibleclassmaterial.com, if you'd like to download a free copy of the plan for yourself.

Upon my initial reading of these three scriptures together, I'm struck by one thing they have in common.  They all deal with creating something, with doing something new.

In Genesis 1-2, God does something new.  He creates the world, separating light from darkness, land from sea, life from non-life.  God does something new, of course, because it's the only thing that's ever been done yet.  As I read Genesis 1:1, I'm aware that every verse that comes next is pure potential.  As I start something new, I pray that God will separate the light from the darkness in my own life, that He will strain the non-life out of me, and leave me filled with only His life that really is life.

In Mark 1, Jesus does something new.  He separates His old life (pre-baptism) from His new life of ministry.  He does something new by calling disciples to follow Him on his journey.  He separates them from their old lives as well.  Then He performs healings and casts demons out of the possessed.  This separates their new, clean, lives from their old, unclean, selves.  He begins a preaching tour, telling the people, "The kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel (1:14 ESV).”  If they decide to repent, everything will be made new.  As I embark on a journey of reading the Bible through in a year, I hope that God will start something new in me, separating me from my uncleanness.

In Psalm 19, God's Word does something new.  Verses 7-11 describe the Bible as perfect, sure, right, pure, clean, true, righteous, desirable, and sweet.  God's Word revives the soul, makes simple people wise, rejoices the heart, enlightens the eyes, endures forever, and warns the servants of God.  Never in the history of the world has there been another book like the Bible, that can transform lives and do such a new thing in the hearts of so many.  As I embark on this adventure through God's word, I pray that God will bring revival, wisdom, joy, enlightenment, endurance, and warning to my heart.  As you follow this reading plan with me, and check in with this blog each day, I hope that God will do something new in your heart as well.



No comments: