Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rest for the Despairing--New Wineskins

On day two of our "Read the Bible Through in a Year" plan, we come to Genesis 3-5, and Mark 2.

The readings for the rest of the week are:
  • Day 3 - Gen 6-8; Mark 3; Psalm 10
  • Day 4 - Gen 9-11; Mark 4
  • Day 5 - Gen 12-15; Mark 5; Psalm 148

There is so much here that I could talk about, but I just want to focus on a couple of highlights.

The first one amazed me when I first encountered it in studying the work of a Bible scholar named Chuck Missler.  I don't believe that Missler originated it, as I've found it in several other sources.  I've posted a video below that you'll find fascinating, dealing with the genealogy from Adam to Noah.  That sounds like it'd be pretty boring stuff, doesn't it?  I invite you to take a look, and you'll find it anything but boring.  The teacher in the video isn't Chuck Missler--I'm not sure who he is...but you'll find this same information in many sources.  I've checked the name meanings out myself, and I've found that it bears out.





The second thing I want to highlight is from Mark 2:21-22.  In the ESV (my new favorite version), Jesus says, "21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins.”

When God wants to create something new in your life, He has to renew the wineskin of your heart.  Sometimes my heart can get a bit dry and crackly--can't yours?  We need renewed wineskins.  How did biblical people renew their dried out wineskins?  By rubbing them with oil.  In the Bible, oil represents the presence and work of the Holy Spirit.  No one puts new wine into old wineskins, because dry, crackly hearts can't contain what God wants to pour into you.  You need a refreshing of the Holy Spirit, and then with a refreshed heart, you can contain the outpouring of God's blessing.

I pray for a renewing of your wineskin and mine today.

No comments: